August 1st Update
I can’t believe I haven’t posted a thing since May. Oh well, that’s just the way it goes with a busy 1 1/2 year old and a Maine summer. Those of you that live in Maine understand the need to capture any chance you have to be outside
and enjoying warm, sunny weather. Despite the fact that we’ve had the coldest, rainiest summer on record, Kairat and I have managed to keep busy and be out of the house as much as possible.
A summary of summer events include:
- Visits to Winslow Park, in Freeport Maine. If you live in Maine or are visiting, this is a fantastic park for kids and adults! We love it there.
- Bike riding (K loves his new bike seat) and many, many walks.
- Playing in the rain…of which there has been A LOT!
- The breaking up and re-pouring of our new basement floor in our addition. No vapor barrier was initially put down and the new basement was wet.
- Our yard FINALLY shaped, sloped, and seeded with grass after the 4th of July… all necessary due to the major construction started in October of 2008.
- A small gathering on the 4th of July. We had planned to not have a party this year (we usually have an annual event) because of the lack of a yard and a large tractor for the lawn work that had been sitting in our driveway for over 3 weeks. People came and we loved being able to host guests in our new barn during scattered thunderstorms.
- A week stay at a camp (cottage as non-Mainers would call it) on a great pond in western Maine with two other families and their kids. Fun for all.
- Camping in the Berkshires (North Adams, MA) with our friends from Moorestown, NJ. A good meeting spot and a great area to explore.
Kairat is growing up so quickly it amazes me. He has many words, is running everywhere, and loves to climb. Personality wise, he keeps us laughing with his entertaining antics. He really is quite a charmer and loves to wave to tourists as we bike and walk down the streets of Freeport, Maine.
We’ve been visiting his soon-to-be daycare, frequently (Ready-Set-Go in Freeport, ME) in preparation of my returning to school. Each time we go he becomes more comfortable.
Today I am driving to my parents in Mexico, ME where Kairat has been for two days. He’s done well and Mama and Papa had a little break that included a nice evening out with drinks at our favorite watering hole, Brian Boru’s, and dinner at Five Fifty-Five in Portland, ME. Kairat has been doing great with Mimi (my mother) and Bampi (my dad) during his visit but I’m anxious to see him and will be on my way shortly. Once there we’ll attend a family reuion and then rush back to Freeport to ready ourselves for a picnic at Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth where a group of friends are gathering this evening.
Images of summer, thus far: