Things Seem to Be Moving Along

November 27, 2007 at 1:45 am 4 comments

A day off last Wednesday proved to be a good one for catching-up on adoption tasks and reading. After spending some time digging up my immunization history in preparation for tomorrows series of “travel shots”, I decided to check in with our adoption coordinator at MAPs.

First, recommended immunizations by our adoption agency for travel to Kazakhstan include Hepatitis A and B, Polio, updated Diphtheria and a Tetanus shot. The CDC also recommends updates on measles, mumps, rubella, and Typhoid. The doctor’s office suggested that I get a Whooping Cough vaccine and an updated flu shot. Luckily, because I am a science teacher, I’ve been through the Hepatitis B series and recently had a Tetanus shot. However, I’m not looking forward to the remainder of the list. Ouch!

In my last adoption post I had mentioned that our dossier had left the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in N.Y. on November 9th and was on its way to Kazakhstan. (Whoo-hoo!) What I didn’t mention was that, upon our return from a weekend away at a Veteran’s Day wedding in Washington D.C., we discovered a letter from our adoption agency in a pile of waiting mail.

I never know how to receive these letters: Is it good news? Is it bad? Do we owe more money? This particular piece of correspondence was one that fell in the “disappointing” category. Sent on November 8th, the letter basically stated that our agency has seen an increase in time frames for dossier approvals; meaning the wait time for adoptions through Kazakhstan were increasing. What is the cause? “More families are applying to adopt from Kazakhstan (China wait time has increased to 2+ years, Guatemala is not accepting applications, etc.)”

Although the increase in the amount of time seems to be only about a month, I didn’t take the news well. The only thing I could think of was, “Here we go. It’s China all over again.” (Remember…we switch from China to Kazakhstan earlier this year.) I was glad that I was exhausted from the long drive back from D.C. because with this news, I wouldn’t have slept well at all.

The next morning, however, things quickly changed for us. After pouring a big cup of coffee, I sat down to catch up on my email. The first one that jumped out at me was titled, “Your dossier has been sent.” As said in a previous post, it left the MAPs office on November 9th, the day after the afore letter had been sent.

Phew!! What a relief. We made it in “under the wire”, so to say. I’m just crossing my fingers in hope that things keep progressing as planned. Our coordinator feels that, depending of the availability of a baby and despite the small slow down, we seem to still be on the time frame originally discussed. This would mean that we are expected to travel to Kazakhstan between the end of January to mid-February of this coming year.

Needless to say, I still remain skeptical. Anything can happen and I really don’t want to get my hopes up too much. I’d rather lean towards a more conservative outlook with the chance that we will go before the spring. It is hard to remain patient and sometimes even harder to stay positive. In fact, I don’t think I’ll feel secure until we are finally home with our child. Of course, then there will be a whole new collection of fears and insecurities…ones that I’m looking forward to having.

We do have plenty to do in preparation of our adoption and it looks as though December will be the month to get it done. Baby proofing, room rearranging, some small renovations, and a whole lot of paint are high on my priority list! So, if you are feeling a little bored come mid December and crave physical activity for a good cause, do I have a suggestion for you! Paint brushes will be gladly supplied…..


Entry filed under: Kazakhstan Adoption. Tags: , , .

The “Neck Down, V-Neck Cardigan” is Complete The “Neck Down, V-Neck Cardigan” St. Croix Style

4 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Amy  |  November 27, 2007 at 5:00 pm

    Congratulations! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you go sooner rather than later!

  • 2. Regina  |  November 29, 2007 at 3:14 am

    It is very hard to plan with all these moving timelines, isn’t it?

    I figure that we will prepare for the best…and expect the worst. At least a little later in the year will be closer to spring and not consistently sub-zero temps!

    Good luck to you!

  • 3. Suzanne  |  December 14, 2007 at 2:04 pm

    I just found your blog, from Amy’s site, and can’t wait to read it and follow it. We too are adopting from Kaz. if you’d like an invite to our blog, email me at ruley at

    I hope that your dossier flies through all the hoops and that you travel soon.

  • 4. Anne  |  December 18, 2007 at 4:56 am

    My husband and I are also adopting from Kaz (Kostanay), and we are waiting for our LOI, which might come in mid-January (by our guesstimation)…hope to see you there!!

    Best of luck to you!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Kostanai Weather

November 2007
« Oct   Dec »

Blog Stats

  • 76,035 hits

%d bloggers like this: