Leaving Soon…I Hope

March 1, 2008 at 2:05 pm 3 comments

We’ve Been Busy

Home renovations gone awry have kept me from posting for awhile. We’ve been working on two bedrooms and the stairwell from the first to second floor since before Christmas, in a panic,  afraid that we may be called to go to Kazakhstan before our project is complete. It is FACT that any home update takes longer than originally planned and we are proof of that.  Oh yeah…a fact we didn’t plan on but are working through. Weekends and after school are spent painting, drywalling, and ripping out flooring, trim, and steps covered with lead paint. Life and other commitments kept us from beginning our task sooner, so here we are working in a frenzied state. I have to say…it is starting to look pretty good! With the help of family and friends, we may be ready before we go. Pictures to come soon…

Adoption Update

Yes, we are getting VERY close. I received a call on Wednesday, February 20th, that our dossier had reached the Ministry of Education in Kazakhstan. I was out running errands at the time and was so flustered and excited by the news that I inadvertently left my cell phone in the store I was in and didn’t realize it was missing until the following Monday.

What does this placement mean? The MOE places our dossier in a region within Kazakhstan. We will be sent to either Kostanai or Astana, the two regions that our adoption agency works with. It is estimated that this placement will occur within two to three weeks from the time it reached the MOE. An adopting couple from our agency  recently waited 2.5 weeks to be assigned to their region (Kostanai) by the MOE and received their letter of invitation to travel only two days after their region assignment.

What is our time-line based on this information? Our adoption agency expects us to travel the weekend of March 21st or March 28th. Our time-frame looks something like this (note- This is a conservative time-line based on information from our agency. We could go sooner, but hopefully not later..which could happen.)

  • Week of March 10th- Assignment to Region
  • Week of March 17th- Letter of Invitation to Travel (LOI) and application for visas
  • Week of March 24th- Visas come in, we buy plane tickets, and leave the following weekend or early the following week.

It is still difficult to grasp this reality of traveling soon. Our adoption quest, which began in March 2006, has been much longer than expected. Because of our many set backs, struggles, and disappointments throughout this process, we’ve tried to keep our senses about us and to not get too excited about the prospect of becoming parents. To think that we’re actually getting close to traveling and meeting our child seems almost like a dream. I don’t think I’ll believe any of this until we are back home with our child.

It is all so surreal!


Entry filed under: Everyday Life, Kazakhstan Adoption. Tags: , , .

Notre Dame de Grace Pullover We Are Going to Kostanay!

3 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Suzanne  |  March 3, 2008 at 4:15 pm

    Woo-hoo! great news! How exciting! I hope its soon. Yes, this is a long hard journey for some, if not most families. March 2006, that is very long. I will be checking in again soon!

  • 2. Eric  |  March 3, 2008 at 9:07 pm

    Just found your blog through Google Alerts. My wife and I are adopting from Kazakhstan as well and hope to travel there sometime this Fall. But we also have another connection … I am the new VP of Online Media for Aspire Media / Interweave Press, publisher of Interweave Knits. Please drop me a note when you get a chance and say hi!

  • 3. Susan  |  March 8, 2008 at 1:43 pm

    That is awesome news~March would be a great time to be in Kaz! One of my friends just arrived in Kostanai today! We found out a couple weeks ago that we are going to Kostanai too. We have requested a little girl, so we’ve been told that summer is a good estimate for us as far as a travel date. So, here we wait. 🙂
    It took a very long time at the MFA for us. It’s so weird how this process works, I still dont’ get it. I watched others from our agency fly thru in 2 weeks, where our sat there from Oct 18th until Jan 24th! Then we found out on Feb 19th we were going to Astana, and they said SOON, before May. that our LOI was going to come “anyday”. Then, the NEXT DAY, they told me Astana had closed, so our dossier was transferred to Kostanai.
    So, now we wait.
    It’s been exiting though because I have 3 friends in Kaz right now to follow along. IT still seems surreal to me that we’ll ever end up there. I am hoping/praying for mid-May or June, but we’ll just have to see. Our son is comign with us, and he’s out of school the end of May, so that would be perfect for us. But, one never knows. 🙂

    I hope you get the word soon that you’re leaving, as soon as your home project is done, that is!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Kostanai Weather

March 2008
« Feb   Apr »

Blog Stats

  • 76,035 hits

%d bloggers like this: