Hurry Up and Wait!

April 1, 2008 at 2:50 am 2 comments

Well, we really thought we’d be in Kazakhstan by now, but things don’t always work the way that you expect. Our agency felt certain that our Letter of Invitation (LOI) would have arrived last week at the latest and we would be planning to fly out of the U.S. this week. However, an update from Kostanai has us with an estimated arrival in Kazakhstan between April 10th-15th , which means we should be receiving our LOI sometime by the end of this week. (Fingers crossed!)

Because we expected an earlier departure, rushing around and time pressured stress has our mode of existence. Preparing for my adoption leave from school (that took weeks), finishing home renovations, and updating paperwork have been in focus while we wait for notice that we can travel. Although I’m incredibly anxious to receive our traveling date, my patient side is reveling in the gift of time as we scramble to take care of last minute details. The “paper chase” never seems to end in this process. I spent last week running from one city to another, tracking down documents, getting them notarized, traveling to Augusta to have them apostilled, and then returning all documents to our agency in Portland. I feel guilty not being in school as I probably could have taught one more week, but who knew we would be delayed in our quest? It is so hard to tell and I left school on the recommended date.

However, I will note, my time off has been incredibly valuable as it would have been impossible to do all I have when paired with the responsibilities of teaching.

While we are waiting to get the “O.K” to apply for visas and purchase plane tickets, many families who are at the beginning of the Kazakhstan adoption process have recently been given news that may greatly extend their wait for a child. As quoted from the website of the Joint Council on International Children’s Services, the processing of Kazakhstan adoptions have been suspended for an undisclosed period of time.

March 17, 2008 –
Joint Council confirms the suspension of dossier processing by the Kazakhstan Embassy and Consulates pending the finalization of a review of adoption cases by the Kazakhstan government. The following represents our understanding of the suspension.

  • The suspension of dossier processing by the Kazakhstan Embassy/Consulate is effective immediately.
  • Dossiers which have been processed and forwarded to Almaty will be permitted to continue through to finalization.
  • Dossiers which have not yet been processed by the Embassy/Consulate will not be forwarded to Almaty and will remain at the Kazakhstan Embassy/Consulate pending the completion of the review noted above.
  • The Kazakhstan Embassy/Consulate will not accept new dossiers pending the completion of the review noted above.

Joint Council hopes to meet with Kazakhstan officials soon and will continue to provide updates and information.

Supposedly, this has no impact on our adoption, but I feel for the families who have hit this snag in their attempts to adopt a child. Imagine the feeling of finally deciding on your adoption venue (and this is no easy decision), meeting with social workers and attending required adoption classes, gathering an insane amount of paperwork and documents that include doctor and psychiatric approvals, having all of this notarized and then apostilled, getting it all neatly packaged and sent to the Kazakhstan Consulate, only to find out that they are not accepting dossiers at this time. This is not a small pill to swallow. It takes months just to submit a completed dossier. People have been assured that this delay is temporary. However, it still must be so difficult.

Knowing of this delay in one area, I can’t help but think that maybe somehow this lag is impacting approved dossiers, such as ours. I’ve been assured that this is not the case, but I can’t help but wonder while we wait.

Speaking of waiting- the wait to adopt from China continues to increase. As many of you know, we started our adoption process with this country (log in date 11/16/06) but changed to Kazakhstan almost a year ago as wait times increased dramatically.

From time to time I check out the website, China Adopt Talk, to see how things are progressing. The “Rumor Queen”, as she is known, made an interesting report on March 20th on adoption options:

What other options are out there for adoption?

  • Guatemala is still too up in the air with things, I think.
  • It appears that Kazakhstan is currently not accepting new applicants, some say this is because of a flood of recent applicants and they don’t want to end up with a huge backlog.
  • Russia seems to be open again but I’m not sure how smoothly things are going so if anyone has information on that it might be nice to share.
  • Ethiopia seems to have a good program but the last I heard the wait there is going up pretty drastically.
  • Korea is open and I believe the program is good, but many do not qualify to adopt there.
  • Taiwan is open and seems to have a good program. Or rather, several good programs. But again, the program seems to be saturated and wait times have gone up there as well.
  • And finally, Vietnam no longer seems such a good idea since the State Department has recommended Americans who aren’t already in process there should not get started.”

This is tough news for those just beginning the adoption journey. (I have found the RQ to typically be right on!) It seems things are becoming difficult in many parts of the world for those hoping to adopt a child.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Kazakhstan Adoption. Tags: , , .

Goodbye’s and Hello’s ….and wait some more!

2 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Susan  |  April 1, 2008 at 12:33 pm

    Hi there!!! Congrats on getting a date, that’s just in 2 weeks!! I’m sorry it was delayed for you a lil bit, but like you said, it would have been impossible to work and get all the stuff done. It seems ilke several families are waiting to go to Kostanai right now!

    I can’t wait to follow your journey. we still don’t know anything-but my son is in school until the end of May, so i’m not in a real hurry right now. It would be great if we heard something soon, but i’m not counting on it, I Figured if i don’t count on it, I won’t be disappointed. 🙂

    Reply
  • 2. Amy  |  April 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm

    Any news yet? Hoping you get your travel go ahead soon!!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Kostanai Weather

April 2008
M T W T F S S
« Mar   May »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  

Blog Stats

  • 75,850 hits

%d bloggers like this: